Ensure you are getting our emails to your inbox.
Promotions & Spam Inboxes
Getting emails from a company, especially one that you become a customer with can be vitally important for simplifying the process of knowing what the status of your order is. For instance, maybe you ordered and end up reaching out via email to get an update on your order, but you never hear back. Many times the company you purchased from in fact is emailing you back, however, the response ended up in the spam folder or promotions tab.
As frustrating as this scenario can be, it isn't uncommon, and it really isn't the companies fault. What we want to do is help our customers understand a few quick simple steps they can take in order to ensure they receive all of our emails directly in their inbox. Full disclosure, that includes promotions, but it also ensures you receive important correspondence where you expect it to be.
To do this, we will need to do what is called "whitelist the email".
What does whitelist mean?
Whitelisting in the simplest explanation is telling your email provider (gmail, outlook, yahoo, etc.) that you want to receive the emails in your inbox. This ensures that the email provider doesn't mistakenly think that you don't want to receive the emails anymore and prevents them from ever moving to spam or promotions inboxes.
How to Whitelist an Email in Gmail
- Click the settings button (in the top-right corner of the screen), then select “Settings” from the resulting drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the tab labeled “Filtered and Blocked Addresses” to access information about your existing filters.
- Select “Create a new filter” and enter the emails or domains you want to whitelist.
- Click “Create filter” to approve the new filter, then mark “Never send to Spam” to whitelist every email within the filter. You can also choose to Star these emails, apply a given label, or mark them as important.
To whitelist a single email address, for example, type the entire address. On the other hand, if you’re trying to whitelist every sender from a certain domain, type the domain alone, such as “@lanewalkerbooks.com”. This will tell Gmail to approve every message from Lane Walker Books.
Whitelisting in Gmail phone app
- Open the Gmail application.
- Navigate to Spam or Junk Folder.
- Click on the message you wish to view.
- Select the option "Report not spam".
- You will now receive messages from this sender as normal.
How to Whitelist an Email in Outlook
Whitelisting a domain or specific email address in Outlook.com is just as easy and works by adding the address or domain in question to a group called “safe senders”. An address that has been added to safe senders will be pushed to your inbox regardless of your spam filters. To add an address or domain to safe senders:
- Click on “Settings”, then “View all Outlook settings”.
- Go to “Junk email”, then choose “Safe senders and domains” or “Safe mailing lists” to select the domain or email you want to whitelist.
- Enter the domain name or email address you wish to add to Safe senders. Make sure to include the @ character for domain names in order to only whitelist emails with the exact string of characters you entered (and nothing more).
Whitelisting in Outlook phone app
- Open Outlook Mobile App.
- Click on the message that you want to whitelist.
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner.
- Click "Move to focused inbox".
- When the pop up screen comes up, click "Move this and all future messages".
How to Whitelist an Email in Yahoo Mail
If you want to move a sender or domain name to your whitelist Yahoo Mail, the process is even easier than it is in the other service providers mentioned above.
As long as you have already received at least one message from the address in question, all you have to do is highlight that message in the Bulk folder and mark it as Not Spam. Once you have identified a single message from a given sender, the Yahoo Mail spam filters will automatically allow future messages from the same address into your inbox.
On the other hand, if the person you’re attempting to whitelist hasn’t yet sent you a message, you’ll need to go through the following steps to whitelist the address:
- Navigate to "Settings" icon, then click "More Settings" from the Yahoo Mail menu.
- Select "Filters" and hit "Add" to enter information about the domain name or sender.
- From here, you can enter any string of text you want to whitelist in future emails. This could be anything from an email address or domain name to something you expect to be in the body of the message.
Whitelisting in Yahoo Mail phone app
- Open Yahoo Mail Mobile App.
- Click on the sidebar.
- Click on the Spam folder.
- Find the email you wish to whitelist.
- Click "Move" and then click "Inbox".
How to Whitelist an Email Address in AOL
Many people looking for email whitelisting instructions for AOL are confused by the fact that AOL doesn’t have a traditional email whitelist. Instead, it considers all mail addresses a user has in his or her address book to be trustworthy. This means that the contact list in AOL essentially serves the same purpose as Gmail whitelist and Outlook whitelist.
Here are step-by-step instructions for whitelisting an email address in AOL:
- Log in to your AOL account.
- Open Contacts from the left navigation pane.
- Click the New Contact icon and enter the required information.
- Click the Add Contact button located at the bottom.
As you can see, the entire process is straightforward, and deleting existing contacts is similarly easy. All you need to do is select the contact you want to delete and click the Delete button at the top of the page. If you want to block the deleted contact, you need to go to Options -> Mail Settings -> Spam Settings. There, you can add the contact to your blacklist.